22/09/2014

Captain my captain!

Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time. Voltaire

"Captain my captain" the phrase taken from the film Dead Poets Society. Can old structures carry the demands of the new? I think we are all facing the reality of today's social and economic shutdowns!

We have shut down creativity, we have so structured everything that even the arts arnt liberal anymore! We are teaching people how to write rather than liberating their hearts enough for them to speak in the thongs of their times! Structure can be safe but there comes a time when it becomes a cage!

carpe diem: I want to seize the opportunity in sharing a few fav dialogues from the movie Dead Poets Society.
  • John Keating: Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone.
  • John Keating: There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.
  • John Keating: I always thought the idea of education was to learn to think for yourself.
  • McAllister: "Show me the heart unfettered by foolish dreams and I'll show you a happy man."
  • John Keating: "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be."
Ps: dreams help us negotiate with reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment